Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Wildflowers

I noticed today at the nursery that we sell almost all my favorite wildflowers.  We have quite a good selection of "Spring Emphemerals" @ $6.95-$8.95.We have both kinds of spring beauties--Claytonia caroliniana and virginica.  We have 4 species of Trillium: our native common T. erectum (red Trillium) , the showier T. grandiflorum (my personal favorite), and T. recurvatum and cuneatum.  We have the native bellwort: Uvularia sessilifolia and I belive we still have U. grandiflorum.  We have bloodroot--Sanguniaria canadensis (and the double from!).  We have lots of Hepatica acutiloba which is already starting to bloom in our greenhouse.  We have the native Soloman's Seal, Polygonatum biflorum, as well as 2 giant ones: P. commutatum and P. multiflorum 'Giganteum', not to mention variegated  and the miniature ground cover, P. humile.  We just potted (this week) some beautiful wild columbine (Aquilegia canadensis).  Our Dodecatheon meadia (shooting star) is coming up  as is out Mertensia virginica (Virginia Bluebells).  We have quite alot of wild geraniums (and some cultivated varieties of Geranium maculatum) and good numbers of mayapples (Podophyllum petatum).  I noticed the bunchberry :Cornus canadensis in the greenhouse and I believe we have plenty of Heuchera and Tiarella when we uncover it.  Hopefully we have plenty of false Soloman's seal- if not, I can bring some in.  We have nice looking Jeffersonia which I have not ever seen in the wild.  We also have our native Pachysandra procumbens - native to the Southern mountains, that is.  We have regular Iris cristata and 'Alba'.  That seems like alot of wildflowers to me- I love them all

No comments:

Post a Comment