Thursday, July 18, 2013

Daylily Season

Even though I once thought I was all through with Hemerocallis, now I'm back in love with them.  I've been planting them near my currants and gooseberries so I can enjoy them while I am picking fruit.  I've made alot of red currant and gooseberry juice and I now have alot of daylilies in bloom nearby.  My two favorites at the moment are 'Tuscawilla Tigress' and 'Alabama Jubilee'.  Both are large, tetraploid,  and vivid orange. I have been crossing them almost every day which is very simple with Hemerocallis- simply take the stamens from one and rub some pollen on the stigma of the other (the pod parent).

I like 'Buttered Popcorn' which is gold and 'Ophir' (gold) which is an old diploid variety.  I like all the clear lemon yellow ones such as 'Big Bird' which is blooming now (a tet).  I also like the clear, true reds one such as 'Baja' and have a few different good reds.

I'm planning to buy 5 or 10 new ones of the daylilies Bill Frost has bred in the last 30 years.  I hope tomorrow morning.  I don't really need more plants

No comments:

Post a Comment