Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Black Currant Juice

We made plenty of black currant juice this past Sunday and Monday. Fifty jars that are quarts or whatever size it is that "Classico" spagetti sauce comes in.  All of a sudden my black currants, red currants and gooseberries need to be harvested and used before they fall off.  I've noticed that once they hit the ground they are not the same--insects get them or they just shrivel by themselves and taste bad.  I've been planti ng daylilies among my bushes so there is something pretty to enjoy as I seem to be spending alot of time there while the daylilies are blooming..

I'm going to a "conference" or "work shop" on Ribes in a week at Cherry Hill Farm in Springfield, VT.

I notice thrips on my 'Alabama Jubilee' this year and none on the other varieties.  I hope I didn't pick a favorite that is susceptible to a problem.  I'm continuing to cross Alabam Jubilee and Tuscawilla Tigress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment