Friday, July 6, 2012

Daylilies

Hemerocallis are one of the first plants I started collecting.   They are very easy and showy and come in very bright true colors.   Also they propagate quickly.  I got sort of overloaded with them and a little bored by them before I had my infestation of Heracleum mantaganianum-- at that time when they put my property on the world map of the range of that plant and the Vermont noxious weed people told me it was the worst case they had ever seen.   I sprayed round-up on all the Heracleum and accidentally took out alot of my daylilies and my rhubarb.  Since then I got a bunch of late blooming (and mid season) true red ones from Ollolie Daylily Farm in Newfane, VT and got some other big yellow ones and since then, I started collecting orange ones and gold or cadmium yellows 

Right now my favorite of all is Alabama Jubilee but I also love Tuscawilla Tigress(orange).  Other favorites are Ophir(a diploid gold with good grace and fragrance), Hyperion (lemon Y and fragrant and gracefull), Ping (huge gold), Turned On (red orange), Poinsettia (an old, old red-red orange), Buttered Popcorn (gold),Rocket City (tall orange), Bright Sunset (burnt orange)H. lilioasphodelis (H.flava) or lemon lily, Big Bird (huge lemon yellow).

I'm growing some seedlings of Alabama Jubilee fertilized by pollen from Tuscawilla Tigress.  I won't know for a few years if any are outstanding.

I often prefer the older, diploid varieties as they are more gracefull.

No comments:

Post a Comment