Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hydrangeas

I'm getting to like Hydrangea paniculata more and more--almost as much as lilacs and forsythia.   Over the years, I've been slowly collecting the large late panicle hydrangeas, especially the ones with the wild form of inflorecence which is pointed with lots of fertile florets intersperse with the larger, showy sterile florets which are there to attract insects. My favorite to date is 'Floribunda', I also like 'Big Ben'-- well perhaps my all time favorite is 'White Moth'.  Some of them turn green after flowering and never are pink: 'Tardiva', 'White Moth' and 'Kyushu' are like that.  Others turn a nice pink.  I use all of them for flower arrangements- they stay beautiful for almost 2 months.  I just got a new one called 'Great Star' this year- the sterile florets are huge.  I like 'Pinky-Winky' alot and 'Quick Fire'.  'Mega Pearl' , 'Passionate', and 'Summer Princess'[sic] are ones that I just got to try out and like them so far.  I'm dissapointed by a new one 'Skylight' as it looks like the big puffy PG type which I don't care for as much.  'White Lady' isn't too happy where I planted her so I can't tell if I like it or not and the new 'Mystical Flame' hasn't bloomed yet for me to decide if I like it or not.  'I just got a 'Brussels Lace' last year which I like and I also have 'Unique'

No comments:

Post a Comment